A beautiful gold ring set with diamonds combines the most traditional ring metal with the gemstones most associated with love and romance. It's not surprising then, that gold diamond rings are amongst the most popular rings used to mark special occasions, such as weddings and engagements.
Gold Ring Characteristics
- Gold diamond rings are particularly popular as engagement rings as gold can resist rusting, tarnishing and corrosion. Nothing says 'I Love You' more elegantly that a shiny, irresistible ring - whereas on the flip side, a ring that's dusty, musty and rusty says...well, it speaks for itself!
- Traditional gold diamond rings tend to be made in gold's traditional bright yellow color, although gold jewelry can also be white-gold or rose-gold (which as its name suggest is a pinky-colored gold). Gold can also be mixed with other metals to give it a purple, blue or black hue, although these colors are not as commonly used in jewelry.
When buying gold, one buys a paticular carat (karat) of gold that indicates how pure the gold is. For example,
- 24K gold is pure goldsmith
- 18K gold contains 18 parts gold and 6 parts of other metals (75% gold)
- 14K gold contains 14 parts gold and 10 parts of other metals (58.3% gold)
- 12K gold contains 12 parts gold and 12 parts of other metals (50% gold)
- 10K gold contains 10 parts gold and 10 parts of other metals (41.7% gold).
- In the US, 10K gold is the minimum karat that can be called 'gold'.
Care of Gold Diamond Rings
Make sure your gold diamond rings stay shiny and beautiful by keeping them out of chlorine whenever possible and harsh chemicals such as household cleaning fluids which reduce gold's natural luster.
Remember that heavy duty work such as laying bricks,p mixing concrete and even the gardening may not only make your gold ring very mucky, but possibly damage the diamonds' setting too. And there's nothing worse than a gold diamond ring without any diamonds in it.
The best way to get gold diamond rings is to ask a professional jeweler to clean and polish the ring for you. However, you can also clean rings at home using a non-abrasive jewelry cleaner - make sure this is safe to use with diamonds before applying it.
As with other diamond ring jewelry, store each gold diamond ring separately to avoid it getting scratched by other pieces of jewelry.
Other Ring Types
Find out more about other popular diamond ring metals, to find out which one will best suit you: